I read this book using Safari Books Online. Note that Mr. Schwertly does have something to sell with this book. He is founder of Ethos3 under which he provides presentation training and design services.
My goal when I started reading this book was to improve my ability to reach people through traditional slide presentations. I had recently given a presentation to a room fool of people and felt that I could have done better.
Just a couple of pages into “How to be a Presentation God” Scott Schwertly changed my goals. Now I want to change lives by helping people find their own excellence. The goal of my presentations may not change, I am still selling a service, but now I want to bring my presentation to a whole new level that transcends the sale. I am not totally sure what that means right now, but I plan on having fun figuring it out.
Here is just a little bit of what I am taking away from this book:
- How can I help the audience? How can I meet their greatest needs and desires?
- Creativity is about solving a problem while execution is about implementation.
- Failure is not permanent, be ready to fail.
- Simplicity is king. The message should be inspirational to the catatonic; understandable to the dumb; legible to the illiterate; and logical to the crazy.
- As a presenter you have a certain amount of authority solely because you are the only one allowed to speak.
- To be remembered do the unexpected and don’t be normal.
- Do and be. Do everything right, and be absolutely incredible.
- Focus on the little things that make us big things. Nothing is accomplished without ﬁrst accomplishing simple, everyday tasks.
- Go forth and dominate.
From the publisher:
Learn how to build, design, and deliver a fire-breathing, wing-flapping, roar-bellowing behemoth of a presentation.
Unlike most presentation books that say the same things regarding presentation design and delivery (less is more, get rid of bullets and use images, emulate Steve Jobs, and so on), How to Be a Presentation God actually divulges step-by-step secrets for how to build, design, and deliver blockbuster presentations.
By providing entertaining and clever presentation insights, veteran presenter Scott Schwertly gives you the in’s and out’s for presenting yourself, your business, and your cause with an easy-to-implement approach.
- Focuses on content, design, and delivery
- Author is a regular speaker at national and regional industry conferences such as PowerPoint Live and Presentation Camps, and is the founder of the award-winning Ethos3 Communications
- Author is the creator of an app, Present, that landed in the top-20 iPhone apps in the Business category on iTunes
How to be a Presentation God will ensure that your presentations reach a new level of effectiveness.
I rate this book a 9 out of 10 and recommend it to anyone who has a need to give presentations and change the world.